Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Weatherproof

In early January, Aaron came home from town after finishing his homework on campus and making a quick trip to the store for me. He also brought with him a “window kit” for winterizing our trailer. After seeing our first power bill (for when we weren’t even living in the trailer yet), we were a little panicked about what it would look like once we actually lived there and used the heater, stove, washer and dryer, etc. Aaron decided to insulate the windows so we could save a little on our heating bill.

I was completely unfamiliar with the concept of a winterizing window kit, and I love knowing what the process is behind things, so I immediately attacked the package to figure out how it works. Apparently, you clean your window moldings and wipe them down with tiny alcohol pads, stick foamy double-stick adhesive around the perimeter and put plastic on the adhesive. This all seemed pretty standard to me, but then I got curious when I saw that the list of necessary tolls for installation included a hair dryer.

My father owns a mechanic and tire shop, so I’m pretty familiar with tools. Dad is also a handyman who often asked his daughters for help with projects, so I’m also pretty familiar with which tools you usually use to install things. Hair dryer was new to me as a “tool.”

Come to find out, the plastic sheeting is shrink wrap. I was immediately excited. For anyone who hasn’t experienced shrink wrapping something, you need to find something to shrink wrap. Right now. Stop reading and find something to shrink wrap.

It’s magical, isn’t it? J

We put this ridiculous plastic that was lumpy and wrinkled on our window and Aaron pointed and shot with the blow dryer. The plastic got smooth and tight like a drum so we could still see out our window perfectly. It’s also enabled us to learn to play the bass drum without actually buying the instrument. When Aaron turns on the music in the spare bedroom, I can keep the beat for any song that comes up with the simple use of a wooden spoon, masking tape, a kitchen towel and, my natural musical abilities and, of course, our shrink-wrapped window drum.

It had never occurred to me that you can shrink wrap an entire window. That’s probably why I’m not an engineer for DIY home improvement project equipment. I guess it occurred to someone that people might want to insulate their houses for the winter without installing new windows or sacrificing indoor light by putting blankets over their only portals to winter sunshine.



You might be a trailer house wife if you think shrink wrap is, not only the coolest thing since sliced bread, but even cooler.

1 comment: