Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tangible Benefits of Love

It’s hard to be humble when your lunch plate tells you how good-looking you are.


I have the privilege of being married to an extremely thoughtful man. My awareness of this has greatly increased since we got married and are living in the same house. He’s also clever, so I find myself chuckling and wondering where he gets his ideas shortly after the initial “Awww…” that runs through my brain every time he does something nice for me.

Two weeks ago, we were running late to school (again) and I was a little frazzled trying to get a lunch packed, cleaning up breakfast and trying to find my shoes so I could go get in the car. Aaron had already run out the door to clear the newly-fallen snow off our car. It snowed almost every night for a few weeks, so we always had a thin layer to clean off of everything. I threw my shoes on, grabbed lunch and scurried out the door to see that he’d stamped a heart into the snow on the hood of the car, which happens to be red. I smiled and felt the little frustrations of the morning drift away when I got in the car to see Aaron waiting with his cheesy, “I’m pleased with myself for doing something clever” grin.

A week earlier, Aaron got up around 4:30 in the morning to finish up some homework. I didn’t have as much to do, so I slept for another two hours before getting up to make breakfast. When I finally talked myself out of bed to feed my probably-starving husband, I made my way to the bathroom before going out to the kitchen. As I walked through, I noticed that there was something different about the toilet paper roll. Even at 5 a.m., Aaron retains his desire to make me happy. He had folded the toilet paper end into a triangle, like they do at hotels, and written “I (heart) You” on the triangle.



He tells me he loves me all the time, but it never hurts to have something you can reach out and touch that tells you, too.

You KNOW you’re loved when even the toilet paper says it.

Thanks, Aaron. I love you, too.

You, too, Mr. Toilet Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment