Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Single Again

I had to spend the day in Idaho Falls two weeks ago for a class project. Before I left, I made Aaron promise that he would do his homework and feed himself if he got hungry. He promised and gave me a kiss goodbye, and I disappeared to Idaho Falls for several hours.

I got home at 8:30 that night and walked into the kitchen. The once-full pan of rice crispy treats I’d left on the stovetop was now almost empty. I walked down the hallway to the spare room to find my husband hunched over his chemistry book next to an empty bag of tortilla chips and a bowl with some salsa residue in it. When he turned around, I saw that there was a drip of salsa on his shirt. I stated my observation that he hadn’t eaten anything other than chips, salsa and rice crispies since I’d left. He confirmed. He was starving.

After teasing him for a while about converting back to bachelor mode and being a mess when I’m gone (which isn’t actually true), I made us some dinner. We joked about the topic on and off for a few more days, talked about how we’re glad we don’t have to go back to being single, and then forgot about the whole thing.

Aaron left for four days for a school trip last week. I hate being in our trailer alone, so I slept on my sister’s couch, did my homework and hung out with her family for the duration of his absence.

Once Aaron came home, I took stock of my activities while he was gone. I didn’t shower for two days, I bummed food off of my sister, I slept in and stayed up too late, I didn’t change out of my pajamas until 4 p.m. one day, and the one time I did have to cook for myself I ate cold cereal and macaroni and cheese for lunch and dinner.

Needless to say, I’m grateful for Aaron. I’ve never been a bachelor, but apparently I become one when he’s not around.

No comments:

Post a Comment